Volunteer With Us
Looking for a way to complete service hours for your club, organization, or your own personal fulfillment? Volunteer as an individual or schedule a work day as a group while spending time outdoors and helping us take care of our stretch of habitat along the Fox River. Red Oak Nature Center offers a variety of ways to help bring people closer to nature. We can also accommodate Eagle Scout projects and scout/school groups looking to spend some time bettering the human and natural community.
Volunteering at Red Oak Nature Center allows you to become one with nature and is instrumental to helping our community connect with the great outdoors. We offer a variety of volunteer opportunities, including:
- Helping educate visitors on biofacts and animal activities
- Participating in events we host, such as Bug Fest, Maple Fest, Forest of Fright and Delight and more
- Working on maintaining our trails to keep the habitats of Red Oak healthy and thriving
- Litter collection and removal
- Invasive species hand pulling and cutting (bush honeysuckle, garlic mustard, buckthorn, etc.)
- Native seed collection and dispersal
- Trail maintenance (spreading woodchips, lining trails with logs, etc.)
- Craft preparation (cutting and organizing craft materials for camps and programming)
- Ongoing citizen science monitoring (bluebirds, frogs, pollinators, etc)
Possible offsite activities may include:
- Creating small art works we can sell in our Critter Cache gift shop
- Other “craftsman” type projects
Don’t see something that interests you? We can help you find something that does!
- To continue learning and growing
- To develop new interests and friendships
- To share your time and talent with your community
- To stay active
- To have fun!
A waiver is required to be completed by each volunteer participant. Waivers are available at the front desk of Red Oak Nature Center, or you can download it here, print and fill out a copy from your home.
To inquire further and discuss possibilities, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Zach Butcher firstname.lastname@example.org
To schedule a work day, please call us at 630-897-1808 during normal business hours: Monday-Friday (9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) Saturday-Sunday (10 a.m. to 3 p.m.).
We thank you and the forest thanks you!